adobedragon

Goat Heads and Sand Burrs, P. Kirby's Reading Blog

The good, bad, and fugly books I've read.
Flesh Circus - Lilith Saintcrow Lost interest very early on... DNF. Perhaps it's a function of picking up book four of a series, instead of starting at the beginning. Or maybe it's my growing aversion to the Urban Fantasy cookie cutter heroine: tough-as-nails, probably because she suffered some abuse in the past, blah, blah, blah. (Seriously, I'd love an interesting, also tough female lead who doesn't have ish-shoes.) It also could be my disinterest with black and white depictions of good and evil, especially those grounded in the Judeo-Christian mythos. Meh. On the up side, this is definitely action-packed. In the few pages I read, the protagonist made a deal with some kind of circus of the damned, killed a child-murdering demon, and then did an exorcism. And Saintcrow can craft a lovely turn of phrase. But I've had such a nice run on books that were really fun to read, it was a shame to end it by slogging through a book that wasn't yanking my chain. (No rating because I didn't read enough to merit one.)